- Whole Baby Potatoes 1 KG (with skin)
- Green Chillies - 2 chopped
- Curry Leaves - 7-8
- Coriander leaves - a few
- Mustard seeds (Rai) - 1 teaspoon
- Urad Dal (Black gram/white lentils) - 1.5 tablespoon
- Oil 2 table spoon
- Red Chilly Powder - 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Hing (Asafoetida) - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder (Haldi) - 1 teaspoon
- Boil Potato. Remember the potatoes need to be firm (Do not cook in the cooker and do not boil as required for mashed potatoes).
- Take a 1.5 table spoon of oil and heat it. Put hing, 2-3 curry leaves and 1 teaspoon turmeric powder in oil.
- Put the boiled potatoes oil and heat it in low/medium flame while frequently stirring. Add salt. Fry until the skin of the potatoes shrivel a bit. This takes about 20 minutes.
- Add Red chilly powder once the potatoes are shrivelled properly
- In a separate pan, take 1/2 tablespoon of oil and add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds (rai) and 1.5 tablespoon of urad dal. Fry until they the urad dal is golden brown. Add chopped green chillies and curry leaves. Once they are fried, add the whole thing in to the potato pan and mix them well.
- Taste the salt and chilly add more if necessary